Recurring Ulcers in mouth is a common problem for many. Small or large, one or several at a time, short lasting or those lasting for a few days, painful or nor painful, could be some of the features of this condition. Medically, this condition is also called Aphthous stomatitis.
Causes of Oral ulcers
The most common causes of recurring ulcers in mouth can be summarized as under:
- Deficiency: Vitamin B12, folic acid and iron deficiency. This is a most common cause of ulcers in mouth especially found among vegetarians. Also, iron deficiency in women due to healthy menses, could be a common cause. The treatment has to be targeted by proper supplements.
- Stress: Next common cause is acute or prolongs stress. Observed usually in those young people who live stressful life do to stringent deadlines are work, irregular sleep pattern.
- Smoking, use of tobacco, drugs, etc.
- Mechanical cause: Pressure to do rough or decayed tooth, bad dentures, etc.
- Bad oral hygiene
- Medicines: Some of the conventional medicines are known to produce mouth ulcers. They include pain-killers (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines), antibiotics, anti-cancer (chemotherapy), radiation, immunosuppressive medicines such as methotrexate, cyclosporine, Alendronic acid (used for osteoporosis) and some more.
- Infections: Some bacterial, viral and fungal infections
- Some oral diseases like Oral Lichen Planus
- Cancer: A non-healing ulcer in the mouth with swollen lymph node in neck must be examined to rule out cancer.
- Some unknown causes
As said above, ulcers in mouth could be in any form, size, shape, number and duration.
It is more often found above the age of 20 years, in both sexes. Children also may present with oral ulcers. Having ulcers once in a couple of years may not need much attention. However, if the ulcers keep recurring and if they take long time to heal, it calls for evaluation and strategic treatment.
Treatment for Mouth Ulcer
As a rule, the treatment has to be targeted at the cause of the ulcers.
Homeopathic treatment for oral ulcers
Recurring oral ulcers can be treated using homeopathy with great success. Depending on the cause behind the ulcers, the treatment has to be targeted. Some of the commonly used homeopathic medicines for acute and chronic oral ulcers are Borax, Nitric Acid, Carbolic acid, Mercurious solubus, Phosphorus, Arsenic album, Carbo animalis, Kali choloratum, etc.
Homeopathic treatment is strongly suggested for all cases of recurring and chronic Oral ulcers.